LanguagesA-Z IndexPrinter Friendly Image



Teachers holding the Wisconsin Masters Educator License, or the Ohio Professional Teaching License (five year license) have completed a procedure considered comparable to Washington's Professional Certificate Program. No other state certification procedures have been identified as comparable by the Professional Educator's Standards Board (PESB). Educators who hold either of these certificates may apply directly for the Professional Teacher certification in Washington.

In Washington, educators must obtain a Washington certificate in order to serve in the public schools. Certificates or licenses from another state or jurisdiction do not cover employment in Washington. While the interstate agreement facilitates the movement of educators among states and other jurisdictions that are members of the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC), our state rarely uses the provision of the contract for individuals who hold certification in another state. Washington’s rules allow us to recognize ANY state approved educator preparation program and degree from an accredited institution to meet our basic requirements. This in essence, allows educators who have completed a college/university preparation program in another state, reciprocity for our state to recognize and accept that program toward our certification requirements.


   Updated 3/7/2018

Old Capitol Building, PO Box 47200, 600 Washington St. S.E., Olympia, WA    98504-7200    360-725-6000  TTY 360-664-3631
Contact Us    |    Site Info    |    Staff Only    |    Privacy Policy