School Facilities - School Construction Assistance Program
LanguagesA-Z IndexPrinter Friendly Image


School Facilities

School Construction Assistance Program


The School Construction Assistance Program (SCAP) provides funding assistance to school districts that are undertaking a major new construction or modernization project.

Projects must meet eligibility requirements based on age and condition for modernization and a need for more space for new construction.

School districts are responsible to secure local funding for construction projects. If eligible, the State provides partial funding based on formulas, allowances, and costs related to certain aspects of a construction project called recognized project costs.

How Does State Assistance Work?

Funding Formula Drivers

Commonly Asked Questions

Guidance Document
Recent amendments to Chapter 28A.335.010 RCW now requires all school districts to consider certain design features when constructing or modernizing schools. Please see School Facility Design Safety Guidance for more information.
Note: All projects, including Local and state funded, are required to consider these design features.

Certified Building Condition Assessments (BCA)
To be qualified to perform certified building condition assessments for study and surveys and asset preservation program buildings, consultants must attend an OSPI Certified Building Condition Assessment training. The training is required for all consultants who will work with school districts to complete Inventory and Building Condition Assessments. If you need to be certified, please contact School Facilities at (360) 725-6265.

List of Certified BCA Consultants

Technical assistance in facilities planning and obtaining state assistance for construction is available from the Regional Coordinators. They are the primary point of contact for school districts that are in the process of developing capital programs and gaining financial assistance from the state to expand or modernize school facilities.

Project Information

Do prekindergarten facilities qualify for SCAP funding?
The School Construction Assistance Program (SCAP) provides state funding for school construction based on a funding formula. Most simply explained, this formula looks at K–12 enrollment and assigns a certain amount of building square footage for each grade grouping. The state provides a construction cost allocation (per square foot) for the allocated space. Special education students receive a different allotment of square footage for preschool through grade 12. This funding formula is intended to provide space for K–12 and the special education program (to include special education pre–school) in common schools. This funding is not available for non–special education preschool programs.

Is it legal/allowable for Local Education Agencies (LEAs) to use capital levies or capital bonds for the purpose of expanding facilities to operate preschools, specifically ECEAP or other non-special education preschool programs? Are there different rules for renovation, purchase, or construction of facilities?
Local school districts are provided the flexibility to spend their capital funds (for new construction, modernization, and expansion) to meet the local communities needs as approved by the local school board. OSPI provides accounting and rules for these funds, but does not have the authority to limit local decision–making in this realm. There are multiple statutes that provide direction to school districts about early learning, capital funds, and bond expenses. Collectively, these statues provide the authority for school districts to provide early learning spaces with their local funds.

  • RCW 28A.215.010 broadly authorizes school boards to operate preschool programs, including ECEAP–contracted programs, in their school districts.
  • RCW 28A.320.330(2) spells out the allowable expenditures for school district capital funds, including “for the purposes described in RCW 28A.530.010.”
  • RCW 28A.530.010 (2) allows districts to issue bonds, “For the purchase of sites for all buildings, playgrounds, physical education and athletic facilities and structures authorized by law or necessary or proper to carry out the functions of a school district.”

From this, we believe funds raised for capital projects under RCW 28A.320.330 can be used to pay for local school board–approved ECEAP facilities.



School Construction Assistance Program

   Updated 9/28/2017

Old Capitol Building, PO Box 47200, 600 Washington St. S.E., Olympia, WA    98504-7200    360-725-6000  TTY 360-664-3631
Contact Us    |    Site Info    |    Staff Only    |    Privacy Policy