Green Ribbon Schools
The U.S. Department of Education’s Green Ribbon Schools Program celebrates schools and districts
making significant progress towards:
- Pillar 1: Reducing environmental impact and costs.
- Pillar 2: Improving the health and wellness of schools, students, and
- Pillar 3: Providing effective environmental and sustainability education, incorporating STEM, civic skills, and green career pathways.
Schools and districts complete an online application. A state committee scores
completed applications. The state may nominate up to five schools or districts.
Public and private schools are eligible to apply. The state committee also selects schools and districts that
excel in one or more of the pillars as Washington State Green School and
For more information, please contact Washington's program coordinator Rochelle Gandour-Rood.
OSPI forwards state finalists to the U.S. Department of Education (ED). ED chooses national award recipients from this group.
Public, private schools and public districts are eligible.
The word versions of the applications are below. Please note, the word versions of the applications are to aid in preparing for the final online submission of your applications
State finalists and national award recipients may attend several statewide
events, will receive an award and join a state team of green leaders. ED
invites national award recipients to a ceremony in Washington DC.
The Green Ribbon Schools program is ambitious. You should apply if you meet some benchmarks and are making significant progress towards meeting others. There are two levels of awards: the National Green Ribbon Schools Award program and the state Green Leader awards. If you do not meet all the benchmarks for the Green Ribbon Schools award, you may still be eligible for the Washington State Green Leader award.
December 2017: OSPI launches application.
February 15: Applications due to OSPI.
March 31: OSPI submits state finalists to ED.
Spring 2018: ED announces national award recipients.
Fall 2018: ED hosts national award ceremony.
Past U.S. Department of Education's Green Ribbon Awardees
2015 US ED Green Ribbon Schools Awardee, Discovery Elementary, outlines their path to minimizing waste in their school.
For more information, please contact Washington’s program coordinator Rochelle Gandour-Rood.
US Department of Education 2017 Green Ribbon School and District Awardees:
- Lakeridge Elementary School, Mercer Island School District
- Green Gables Elementary School, Federal Way Public Schools
Washington State 2017 Green School and District Leader Awardees:
- Montessori Children's House, Redmond, Pillars II and III
- Lakeland Hills Elementary School, Auburn School District, Pillars I and II
- Cedarsong Nature School, Vashon Island, Pillar II
- Nurture in Nature Preschool, Metro Parks Tacoma, Pillar III
Previous award winners